Put a modern, bold twist on an age old classic. This Cacio e Pepe recipe is invigorated with the spice from Bowery Mustard Frills and is sure to be a hit for quiet date-nights at home.More about Dan
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb box spaghetti
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups pecorino cheese, finely grated
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Bowery Mustard Frills, 1.5 oz
- ½ lemon, zested
- Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water and add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Bring water to a boil and add pasta for 6 minutes.
- Add 2 ½ teaspoons freshly cracked pepper to the bottom of a large pan. Turn heat to medium and toast the pepper, moving it around in pan until pepper is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully add 1 cup of pasta water from the pasta pot into the pan with pepper and stir. Let simmer over medium heat.
- Add 1 ½ cups finely grated pecorino cheese and ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Whisk to remove any clumps and set aside.
- When your 6 minutes is up, use tongs to transfer your pasta into pan with peppery and water mixture. Mix well and continue to simmer over medium.
- Add 1 cup of hot pasta water to bowl with cheese and immediately start to whisk until cheese sauce is creamy.
- Over medium heat, add cheese sauce to pan with pasta. Mix until combined, and glossy sauce is coating pasta. If sauce dries out too fast, add more reserved pasta water as needed.
- Remove from heat. Add Mustard Frills to pan plus the zest of ½ of a lemon.
- Stir pasta a few times to incorporate until greens are slightly wilted.