This dairy-free sauce rides the line between sweet and savory, making it just as at home topping subtly flavored cakes as it is a base for roasted vegetables.More about Carla
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup cold water, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3-4 leaves of Bowery Basil
- 1. Place the cashews in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium; cook for 15 minutes, or until the nuts begin to plump slightly and soften.
- 2. Drain the cashews, then transfer them to a blender along with the 1 cup of cold water, lemon juice, salt, sugar and basil. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of the blender, as needed. If the mixture seems too thick while blending, add more water, one tablespoon at a time.